Sunday 23 August 2015

Ineptness ...

I DON'T have enough hands.
I'm inept at juggling a backpack, car keys, a laptop and a coat 
... especially when it’s raining and more especially when I’m tired.
Yes.  I should have been wearing the coat.
It was raining after all.
Yes.  The backpack should have been on my back
But I wasn’t and it wasn’t.

Sprawling on the sidewalk when it’s raining is a tad inelegant.
Everything goes flying.
Everything but the laptop that is.
There’s a survival instinct that comes into play when carrying the laptop or camera.
Protect it at all costs.
Bugger any damage to oneself.
How could I be so clumsy?
It didn’t help that I’d been trying to get the car keys out of the backpack.
The contents of the pocket that was open were strewn all over the sidewalk.
Yes.  In the rain.
No wonder I lost the shop keys.
It was ridiculous in the extreme.
Despite the sore shoulder AND the rain, all I could do was laugh.
At least the hound wasn’t there to leap on me as is her wont when I fall.
It was reminiscent of the weekend when the flatmate and I were at Cornwall Park.
We BOTH slipped down a bank and fell.
In slow motion.
The camera survived.
Not so our dignity.
This falling malarky is becoming a bit of a habit.
And No.
It’s NOT because of all the bubbly I consume with Yvonne.
Slippery sidewalks and muddy embankments are the norm at this time of year.
Courtesy of all that rain.
Even the hound slips on the boardwalks and she has FOUR feet.
I tiptoe along behind her, testing my footing before moving forward.
A slip slide on the boardwalk COULD land me in the water.
THAT would make for an amusing morning ramble!
“I get up every morning determined to both change the world 
and have one hell of a good time.  
Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.”
~  E.B. White

No comments: