Tuesday 30 June 2015

Facing the fears

A sprinkling of frozen dewdrops on the Proteas
I took a big step forward this weekend.
For me that is.
Frost on the boardwalk .... 2 degrees on our early morning ramble
I attended a party.
On my own.
Not much you might think in the grander scheme of things.
But it was for me.
I’m accustomed to being one half of a couple.
Invitations and acceptances to functions were generally for both of us.
The SO and I.
That’s how it’s been for the last 30 odd years.
Warming up on the street lights
Going to functions with a girlfriend is easy.
Choosing to attend on my own is a little daunting.
Especially when it’s in the city.

But I did.
Even drove myself there.
And felt so brave for having taken that step.
The Panmure Bridge.  I walk over it to reach the Rotary Walkway.
My world is changing and I’m embracing it.
The other change I’m delighting in are my rambles along the estuary.
Another living, moving body of water to explore.
And photograph of course.
NOTHING is ever static about it, even when the tide’s retreating.  
It lives.
Abundantly so.
There are SO many Kingfishers
all JUST out of reach of my lens.
Catching the sunrise over the estuary as its colours light up the sky
and wake up the world is beyond magical.
The warmth creeps along the water and sidles up the ever-present masts.
EVERYthing in view is bathed in glittering gold.
This world, and the chaos in it, is forgotten in the warmth and glory of the moment.
I would be lost without this daily dose of magic.
Even on the wet and woeful days there’s a glow in the sky as the sun makes it’s presence felt.  NOTHING stops it.
I want to be like that.
Unstoppable.
“One day she finally grasped that unexpected things were always going to happen in life.  
And with that she realised the only control she had was how she chose to handle them.  
So she made the decision to survive using courage, humour and grace.  
She was the queen of her own life and the choice was hers.”
~ Lupytha Hermin


Another view of the Panmure Bridge

No comments: