Tuesday 7 February 2012

We're becoming accustomed to seeing bare bums and balls ....


6.30 in the morning and there's a cruise ship going into the harbour
... the white blob on the horizon.
Mornings don’t come more beautiful than this one!  I was out of the house at 6.30 and on the beach at Ladies Bay before sunrise .... it’s an awesome feeling beating the sun out of bed!!


I was there before Julia this morning so I climbed on the rocks between Ladies Bay and the Bay of the Tree to
watch the sun rise over the horizon.  It peeked through the branches of my tree and cast this magical glow all over the world.  It's amazing how quickly my world lights up as the sun ascends into the sky.  Rangitoto a few minutes before had been dark and eerie but was now glistening and glowing with life.


The early morning sun isn’t hidden by a cliff  on the Bay of the Tree ... but our access to the Bay of the Tree is determined by the tide and the tide was high this morning and our bay inaccessible .... the hounds, not that they mind, had to make do with Ladies Bay.
The tide is so high it's almost covering the rocks between Ladies Bay and the Bay of the Tree


An elderly nudist joined us in the Bay and asked Julia if we minded if he swam ..... we were a bit non-plussed, we’re not used to nudists asking if we mind if they swim! He went to the far end of the Bay to undress and swim so we stayed where we were trying not to have to look in that direction.  Julia has more of a problem with that than I do
 ... my hound stays in the waves and plays with her ball - I don’t have to look anywhere but the waves .... Indy, as is his wont, explores his domain from cliff face to waves ... from rocks at one end to rocks at the other ... Julia can’t help but have to look in every direction.  


We’re becoming accustomed to seeing bare bums and balls ...... rugby balls of course.


I really love these early morning walks .... yes, it’s darker when I leave home and photo opportunities are more scarce ... particularly on Ladies Bay ... but I love watching the world wake up - it’s almost as if a big hand in the sky has switched the world on ..... well ..... my part of the world that is! 


The early morning sun and absence of clouds has bought humans and hounds ... and humans WITHOUT hounds .... out in droves.  There were people EVERYWHERE as we headed back down to the village.  It was so noisy ... and it was only 7.30!!  A bus had pulled into the bus-stop and a stream of people were boarding it ... obviously on their way to school or work in the city.  A glass recycling truck was making it’s way down the road picking up and emptying glass bins ... what a racket ... the sound of the glass breaking as the bin was tipped upside down.  


Even the zebra crossing was busy .... cars turning in all directions .... I even paused to ensure the cars were stopping before I stepped of the kerb ... not something I normally do! Pedestrian crossings are treated with respect here in NZ ... one becomes accustomed to assuming the cars will stop.


On reflection I don’t think it was just the glorious weather that bought more people out of the woodwork today, I think the village was busier as everyone heads back to work and to school.  Yesterday’s Public Holiday is the last one before Easter. Life returns to
The same view when I arrived back home at 10
some semblance of normality now and, with that normality, is the return of the traffic and early morning busy-ness.


Everyone’s getting back into routine ..... and that includes my humans with hounds .... I’m seeing the regulars more frequently now, despite walking earlier. I head back to the beach
after saying goodbye to Julia and Indy .... attach the hound to her long rope - just in case the Dog Warden decides to pay a call .... and throw ball after stick after ball after stick for the hound ... she’s never the one that tires of the game first ... I am. 


Carol and Sebastian joined us on the beach today AND I got to see Denise and Abi ... and get more of my petition forms signed. I find it odd when someone with a hound doesn’t want to sign a form .... and especially when they’re on the beach with their hound .... off-leash ... and it’s NOT swimming .... where is the Warden when I want him!! Despite explaining the reason for the petition to them, the woman still saw fit not to sign ... she was quite derogatory about it in fact .... her husband wanted to sign but felt obliged to follow her lead. 


Her lack of understanding of the Dog By-laws reinforced for me the need for clarity by the Council ... so many of the people I’ve approached about the petition are completely ignorant of the times they’re allowed on the beach ... and that during summer their
On Ladies Bay yesterday with Indy - Julia had been writing in the sand!
hounds have to be on lead, unless they're swimming. 


I value my right to walk my hound on the beach and for her to swim in the waves ... I want to do my utmost to ensure that right isn’t removed.  I guess I can’t convince everyone that standing up for our rights is necessary but I sure intend to try.

No comments: