Sunday 5 February 2012

the waves + Carol = WET


My hound lay down at the view site whilst we were stretching and this is the picture she left behind ... a heart for me!

I don’t normally write a blog over the weekend but this morning’s ramble was magical and I took way too many photos and they’re so worth sharing!  Our rambles at the weekend are generally longer, more relaxed ..... less driven by time constraints ... more driven by the grumbles of Gav’s stomach.  
Treats whilst we wait for coffee!
We walk slightly later ... 8am instead of 7 ..... there are more humans with hounds in the waves .... the coffee shop’s open .... the sun’s higher in the sky - when you can see it, that is.  Gav often joins Julia and I on our weekend rambles .... his presence is useful when the hounds, mine in particular, are wanting large trees thrown into the waves ... there’s a limit to the size tree I’m able to throw.


When the tide’s out, we’re able to access our Bay of the Tree with ease ... we’re even able to access it when the tide’s NOT right out ... as we discovered today. We did get a tad wet but isn’t that what rambling in the waves is all about?  We get sand between our toes .... wet feet - and a wet bum ..... and have a huge amount of fun. I waded a bit far into the waves and wet the backpack - just the bottom of it .... fortunately my phone sits in a pouch at the top of the backpack and my petition forms are in a plastic bag!!


I see the hounds from a different perspective ... Indy was puzzled by me being IN the waves and him being on the beach ... he sat in the waves looking at me quizzically ... what is this mad girl up to now?  The photos of him are so divine that I’m loading another album on FB too ..... there are way too many to include in the blog and you need the
running commentary with them ... he’s just got such an expressive face!


They found Chocolat’s large tree from yesterday and had another tug-of-war ... Indy eventually giving up in disgust ... nobody, not even Indy, is going to get her tree away from her!  I’m not sure who’s more tired
... the hounds ... or Gav.  He’s thrown the tree umpteen times into the waves for her and she’s retrieved and dragged it along the beach umpteen times more.  


He’s had to chase Indy up and down the beach too ... Indy, in a manic moment, decided Gav’s 
trainer smelt really good and ran up and down the beach with it in his mouth.  Gav and Julia chased after him which only added to the fun he was having ..... I was trying hard to contain the laughter ... this hound had them both sussed and he knew it!!  We’d taken off our shoes and socks to keep them dry when we’d waded around
the rocks to access the beach ... it would have been hilarious if Indy had run into the waves with Gav’s shoe in his mouth and dropped it!!


In his exploration of the beach after having the trainer confiscated he found a discarded jandle (for my South African friends ... 
a flip-flop) and ran up and down the beach with that too. I don’t think he thought that was quite as much fun though .... he didn’t have Julia and Gav racing after him with the same intent as when he had the trainer.  He’s a clever hound ... he knows how to get their interest!


Even though the sun wasn’t shining, moments like this are magical ... we get to be kids again ... draw in the sand with sticks ... get our clothes wet in the waves.  I don’t think I’ve ever grown up .... walking in the waves and getting your clothes wet go hand in hand - that hasn’t 
changed with living here in NZ .... the waves + Carol = WET ... it always has.


Magical moments have to end though .... I can’t escape from reality 24/7 even though sometimes I’d like to.  I have to come back to the real world and continue with the day .... but the magic comes back with me
.. and I know Julia takes it back with her too.  Life isn’t always easy .... it isn’t always straight-forward .... there are many hills to climb and mountains to cross .... but as long as I always have that magic to hold onto I know I’ll be ok ... I know we’ll find a way forward.


Note to self: “Today you will SHINE!”...... oh yeah!!






2 comments:

Cheyne Masterten-Smith said...

Love your tree, its your SA tree in NZ. Took the dogs to the beach again today and found a safe place for Charlie to venture forth. He had a wee swim, a proud mother moment for me!!!! Snoopy is getting braver but still gets very anxious.

Keep smiling special girl :)

Chocolat and Co said...

I love my tree too .. it's such a special spot! I'm glad that Charlie's getting braver ... he's MADE to swim in the waves. You might also find that your waves there are a bit rougher, bit more scarier for young pups. Chocolat loves the rough waves but some of the other hounds we walk with don't.
I saw your comment about Nester the other day but it's not showing up on the blog .. don't know why .. but it doesn't matter.
Petition's growing .. which is good .. only had 3 people out of over the more than 100 we've asked, refuse to sign ... and they had hounds. Odd people ... takes all kinds I guess.
Hugs my friend :)