Friday 26 February 2016

Faith can be fragile

“The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, 
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, 
for each day to have a new and different sun.” 
~ Christopher McCandless
My kind of joy.
“... for each day to have a new and different sun.”
As we end what’s been an emotional week,
 I sought a new and different sunrise this morning.
Soul food was needed to boost a fragile spirit.  
Losing loved ones is never easy 
and even more so when said loved one is thousands of miles away.
My mom-in-law was a special soul. 
She faced whatever life threw at her with a dignity and courage that was beyond parallel.  
She walked hand in hand with God and knew without doubt that she was loved.  
Faith of this magnitude is truly beautiful.

As I sat watching the sun rise this morning I contemplated that faith.  Faith can sometimes be fragile.  
Hers wasn’t.  
It was unshakeable.
A life well lived for God and her family.
When moments like this happen, 
it reinforces the separateness of the lives we lead.
My family and friends are spread over continents. 
As my sun rises, their sun is setting.
As I welcome dawn, their skies are turning dark.
Would that I had a time machine to make the distance apart more manageable.
Rambles this week have been MORE than necessary.

Rambling itself is therapeutic.  The boardwalks and pathways of the Le Roys Bushwalk this morning provided all that and more.  This bushwalk isn’t a circular route and rises up from the salt marshes in Little Shoal Bay through two wetlands to mature bush on Le Roy Terrace. 
 We had to backtrack on more than one occasion when we got lost.  
Navigation issues again.
Or was it that my mind was on other things.
Death touches us all at some stage in our lives.
Despite the heaviness of my heart and the sadness I feel, 
I will always be grateful for having known and loved this special lady.
“Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
A.A. Milne
Cherish those small things.

No comments: