Wednesday 18 March 2015

I'm seldom concise.

“One forgets words as one forgets names. 
One’s vocabulary needs constant fertilising or it will die.” 
~ Evelyn Waugh
I love dictionaries and thesauruses ... or is it thesaurusi?
Addictively so sometimes.
They allow my words to be pertinent and precise.
Most of the time.
I’m seldom concise.
Anything but.
Even I though, when faced with a sun-rise like yesterday’s one, 
am at a loss for words despite my aforementioned affliction.
There are some situations when words are superfluous.
We’ve been starved of gorgeous sun-rises for a few days now.
Courtesy of tropical Cylone Pam I’m thinking.
This one MORE than made up for the ones we’ve missed.
There’s a magic to these early mornings that’s palpable.
It connects me with what’s real and tangible.
Each sun rise is significant.
Even when I can’t see it.
Despite the chaos in the world,
despite the havoc that mankind wreaks,
life continues.
I’m so blessed that my day ALWAYS begins so well.

My forays onto the mudflats are a case in point.
No two are EVER the same.

Always amazing.

Always a diversity 
of birds to see.
Always doing 
something different.
Yesterday it was a pair of Gannets.
I don’t often see them in the bay.
They were feasting on a shoal of fish and put on the most spectacular diving display.
Moments like this are when I yearn for a bigger lens.
There’s only so far into the waves I can wade
before the risk of drowning the camera becomes real.
Drowning the camera aside though
I did get a shot of the gannet doing his death defying dive.
“The universe is curled up inside us all.  
It is up to us to find the stairs.”
~ Christopher Poindexter

And last, but not least, 
a video of the hound trying to take a tree home.
Unsuccessfully.

No comments: