Tuesday 6 December 2016

Light and Shadows

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
 ~ Maya Angelou in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
The dance of light and shadow happens in ALL our lives. 
Light illuminates and shadows define.
Together they tell a great story.
I’ve learnt not to question the shadows of the past and not to apportion blame.  
Only idiots drive forward whilst looking in the rearview mirror.
We each  have our own story to tell. 
Mine’s in the present.
And I choose for it to be happy.
Friends and family add to that happiness.
They understand the peculiarities of the person I am and aren’t fazed by it.
Well.
Most of the time they’re not.
Some of the wackiest of individuals are in my corner, 
braving the wild waters with me.
They add their own brand of humour and craziness to the world we inhabit.
Their kaleidoscope swirling in unison with mine.
Both illuminating AND defining it.
This is a good thing.
They lift me up when I’m down.
Give me wings when I struggle to fly
and kick my backside when all else fails.
I find Christmas a difficult time of the year.
Chock full of light and shadows of Christmas past.
As I navigate the treacherous waters this month brings
there’s an overwhelming sense of gratitude.
Gratitude for the steps taken.
Gratitude for the lessons learnt
and gratitude for the those glorious souls 
who illuminate and define my every day.
It’s a cheerful thought indeed!
“I prefer the company of happy people who are believers in magic
... and of magical people who are believers in happy.”
~ courtesy of the Wild Woman Sisterhood


No comments: