Sunday 3 January 2016

Phew!

 Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth,
''You owe me.''
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
- Hafiz
So it’s been a rather hectic end to 2015.
Hectic, but happy, in a strange kind of way.
Any cobwebs left lingering have been rapidly blown away 
by the wind and rain that 2016 has bought with it.
The lessons learnt at school and university pale into insignificance 
when compared to the lessons I’ve learnt over the past few years.
Life has been a TOUGH teacher.
But I’m grateful.
I’ve learnt so much about WHO I am.
WHAT I’m capable of.
How much COURAGE I have.
That I can’t change ANYONE but me.
I’ve learnt to ALLOW things to happen.
Everything has a time and a place and a reason.
Don’t fight it.
Embrace it.
Resistance, whilst very real and subtle, is futile
When we relax and roll with the flow as opposed to trying to fight our way upstream, 
we find ways and means to accommodate the chaos that adversity brings.
Yes, my car keeps refusing to start ... something I need to sort out in the next few weeks.
I couldn't ask though to be stuck in a more scenic spot whilst I wait for the crank sensor
to register that the engine's cooled down.
With that in mind, I’ve made a list of the 15 actions that have helped me deal with change.  
I actively practice these actions and will add to them again this year.  
Some I’ve become quite proficient at, others are still a challenge.
1.  Be present.
Always. 
2.  Make your bed every day.
There’s something about a made bed that is satisfying to climb into at the end of a busy day.
3.  Make someone else’s bed.  
Yeah right.  Still working on this one. 
4.  Make tea.  
The very act of making a cup of tea and waiting for it to draw is therapeutic in itself.  
Odd I know but true.
5.  Embrace conversation.  
I think I have this one down pat.
6.  Buy a plant and water it.  
I see our little grape vine as symbolic of our growth this year.  
It’s thriving, as are we.  
Even in the gale force winds of the past few days  
it’s held on with a tenacity and courage that I can relate to.  
7.  Ramble. Every. Day.
Absolute exhaustion is the only reason for not getting out for a ramble each day.
8.  Make art.  
A continual quest to improve and make better art.  
I am ALWAYS learning.
9.  Walk in the rain.
At every opportunity. 
10.  Take chances, it doesn’t matter if they don’t all pan out.
Failure isn’t defeat, it’s a temporary detour.
11.  Ask for help when needed.
I struggle with this one but am fast learning that receiving help 
empowers both the giver and the receiver.
12.  Know your worth. 
Everyone is worthy but most of us aren’t aware of how worthy we are.  I’m learning.
13.  Love fiercely. 
I do, and know that I am loved fiercely in return.
14.  Forgive quickly. 
Working on this one.
15.  Let go of what doesn’t make you happy. 
Another one I’m working on.  It’s hard to put into practice, but necessary.
Phew.
I know that as we tip-toe through the puddles into 2016, 
it will bring MORE perfect moments, 
and just as many imperfect ones for me to practice dealing with.
There will be more perfect reflections, 
more perfectly IMPERFECT days and, as always, 
a myriad of moments that make for smiles and laughter.


No comments: