Friday 17 January 2014

"Lighthouses don't go running all over an island looking for boats to save; 
 they just stand there shining."
~ Anne Lamott
My city is beautiful!
It’s official.  
January SALES bring out the NEANDERTHAL in my fellow man.

Working in retail on a part-time basis has been an education in itself. 
 I’ve seen a side to the general public that I wouldn’t usually have been exposed to. Respect for something that doesn’t belong to you disappears when the word SALE is mentioned.

Hangars that don’t usually suffer much damage get broken.  
Price tags get ripped off garments.  
Buttons and fasteners are found on the floor.  
Manners fly out of the window.

A sense of humour  is MANDATORY!
Tact is essential.
Fodder for my blog is a given.
We aren't the only ones out bright and early.
Despite how tired I feel some days, 
despite the long hours we’ve worked over this Christmas period 
and despite the occasional rude customer we get, 
I STILL so enjoy working in the shop.

It’s that words falling out of my mouth thingy again.
I get PAID to talk.

Making sales is a bonus.
Frazzled moms with weary lemmings are not.

This week has had an odd feel to it. 
It’s almost as if the world is holding it’s breath waiting for the year to kick into gear.  
The urgency and vibrancy that was around in December has disappeared.  

I’m NOT complaining.  Less early morning traffic and fewer mamils on their two-wheel conveyancies make for a more peaceful ramble.  I have no doubt the decibel level in the morning will rise as the return to school date approaches.

For now though, I’ll just enjoy the peace and quiet of the EARLY morning and so will the hound.

No comments: